ColourLibrary ColourCards: Occupations
96 cards of people in occupations to enhance communication skills.
Photographed on location these cards will initiate conversation, can be sorted into categories to enhance understanding, which in turn will lead onto activities at various levels of difficulty. For example, ‘Show me the nurse’ or ‘Which one works in a hospital?’
The categories are:
• Arts & Crafts – bookbinder, piano tuner, sculptor, etc.
• Trades – plumber, butcher, welder, etc.
• Health Workers – dentist, nurse, optician, etc.
• Public Services – fireman, postman, teacher, etc.
• Transport – bus driver, pilot, train driver, etc.
• General – desinger, scientist, chef, etc.
Who Will Benefit from this Activity?
ColourLibrary ColourCards: Occupations will be enjoyed by people in all stages of dementia. The outcome of the activity may vary depending on the person’s ability, however for people with dementia, it is important to remember that when participating in the activity, the focus should not be about the activity itself, but the quality and enjoyment of the interaction. It is the enjoyment of the activity that will contribute to their overall sense of happiness and well-being.
If you need help choosing an appropriate activity for someone affected by dementia, click here to view our guidelines.